Realistic Fitness Logo

Realistic Fitness Logo

Monday, November 7, 2016

Finding My Voice

I want to preface this by saying this is the scariest thing I’ve ever done. I’m actually shaking with the thought of posting this. But I’m putting this out there because I don’t believe we should sweep mental illness under the carpet. We need to share and educate and help each other in any way we can. I know I’m not alone so I hope this helps someone else find their voice.

While out on my run today, I realized that it’s been exactly a year since my back went to shit and I was completely bed ridden unable to do a thing. That was pretty much the start of a really tough year for me, both mentally and physically. Not only did I have back surgery, several failed attempts to come back to activity, two rhizotomy procedures and weight gain, I made a really tough decision to address a mental issue which has been plaguing me for years.

After 20 plus years of living with an eating disorder, I decided it was finally time to get help. I had been in and out of therapy several times over the last 15 years but I always went at the advice of others; I never really did it for myself. This past April I was sitting in my office so fed up with ED1 ruling my life and all I could think was “I’m turning 40 this year. I don’t want to spend the next 40 years of my life like this.” And with that, I picked up the phone and called Renfew2. I had never been to treatment at Renfrew but knew it was top notch and that I’d get the care I needed there. I cried so hard when I hung up the phone. I cried because I was scared but also so relieved. I knew this time was going to be different. *I* made the phone call myself and knew I was finally ready to get the help I so desperately needed.

After several weeks of group and 1:1 therapy, the decision was made by myself and my therapist to step up treatment. In July I began a 6 week IOP (Intensive Outpatient treatment) program and spent around 12 hours a week at Renfrew. I attended group therapy and individual therapy as well as appointments with a nutritionist and ate dinner there three times a week. During sessions I had to go to places within me that I didn’t know existed and I had to talk about things I wouldn’t discuss with even my closest family or friends. I resisted the first few weeks, threatened to stop going, even had a major outburst one night at dinner, but yet every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, I returned. Before I knew it, I looked forward to going each week and when my final week rolled around, I was scared half to death to leave. This place and process had become so safe for me.

Now I’m on the other side of treatment in this grey area called “recovery.” I continue to see my therapist and nutritionist weekly but each day is a process and involves hard work. There have been (and will be more) slip ups, but for the first time since I can remember, I’m calling shots about my health, not ED. I finally found my voice and it’s louder than ED’s.

I’m sharing this because I personally know many people who struggle with disordered eating. So often I wanted to say “I get it!” but I’ve been too ashamed to admit it. But I learned so much during that six week period and I now know there’s no reason to be ashamed. I learned I’m not alone and we don’t have to suffer in silence. That eating disorders don’t discriminate and no two eating disorders are the same. That you have to trust the treatment process and surround yourself with a solid support group. And most importantly, you have to put yourself first. You have to make the time and commitment to getting better. Eating disorders kill more than any other mental illness according to statistics. We need to bring light to the situation and not judge one another.

If you know me, you know I’m pretty much an open book. This was the one part of me that I kept secret and while doing so, it destroyed me. It affected relationships, it caused me to lie, I missed out on things that I really wanted to do, etc. I just figured ED was my true voice, he dictated what I did every day and no one would understand. I was convinced that life would be worse without him because truthfully, he was all I knew. But I was so wrong. SO wrong. ED is a piece of shit, he can be shut up, and life is so much better without him.

No one should feel that they are not worthy of love or happiness and no one should be ashamed to raise their hand and ask for help. If you or someone you know may be suffering from an eating disorder, please contact: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

1 – ED is the name often given to an eating disorder so you can distinguish the eating disorder from yourself.

2 – Renfrew: http://renfrewcenter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment